Pleasure of the Moment:

Husband cooking a meal and watching baby.

Saturday, July 3, 2010

Fresh in Vienna


I would be remiss if I didn't attribute one post to my favorite summertime activity in Vienna - going to the
Farmers Market. Located by the Caboose on the W&OD Trail on Church Street, the Vienna Farmers Market is THE place to be on a Saturday morning between 8am - 12pm.

As spring creeps near, my mouth starts to water for the fresh fruit and veggies that have been lacking all winter long. Now it's a bonanza! Today we got fresh watermelon, cantaloupe, plums, peaches, nectarines, corn, tomatoes, squash, onions and cucumbers. We usually get these awesome pretzel roles and semolina bread, too, but I am trying to watch the carb intake these days - the constant reminder of pregnancy that is a larger pants size needs to go away.

For the holiday weekend, the vendors today wore red, white and blue beads. One shopper had an Uncle Sam type hat. When we went on Halloween last year, hubby and I dressed up and got lots of smiles and comments - we were the only ones in the whole market dressed up! Our costumes served as a starter for conversations that are sometimes lacking as we all rush from stand to stand, eager to get on with the day.

Do you go to the Farmers Market?

2 comments:

  1. Half the reason I love summer is because of the farmer's markets! My favorite is buying fresh pesto.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pesto is our favorite thing to make! We're growing our own basil, but in the meantime we buy some already-grown to make this yummy summertime dish!

    ReplyDelete